Pages

As featured in Parentdish

Thursday 10 November 2011

History teaching


I am a bit behind in my magazine reading so have only recently got round to reading last week’s Times Educational Supplement. In this issue Henry Hepburn interviewed Neil McLennan, president of the Scottish Association of the Teachers of History

Henry asked Mr Mclennan if history is still also about World War II and the Nazis. I studied history to ‘o’ grade and so I totally see where Henry is coming from. We spent two years learning about both world wars and the period in between. This wasn’t history, it was government propaganda in disguise. 

It wouldn’t have been so bad if we as a country had learned anything. 

Prior to ‘o’ grade we did learn about other aspects of history such as the Window Tax. We didn’t just learn about the social and architectural implications of this law we went through the law in fine detail. Yawn!
Despite being a history lover, this really put me off history, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. 

Thankfully Mr Mclennan’s reply was that they have been working hard to eradicate what he refers to as “the nazification of the curriculum in Scottish history classrooms”. 

Good. About time.

No comments:

Post a Comment